Skip to main content

The Bike Adventure That Changed It All.

 When I was a young boy, I was very serious and quiet, so I rarely got into troubles. I rarely got permission to play with other kids or even go out and play alone, but I remember one specific moment when my mother let me go for a ride with my cousin. I was around 7 years old and I was at work with my mom; she used to work at the cafeteria of Jose Maria Pino Suárez school.

One tragic day, my cousin (he was around 11 years old) came to meet me because he got a new bike as a present for his birthday, and he was really excited; that was his first bike without the training wheels. He wanted me to join him on the ride, but of course, my mom didn't allow me. My cousin and I pleaded for permission until my mother (unfortunately) accepted.I was more nervous than excited because that was my first time riding a bike alone and without training wheels, but that bike was too big for me. In order to face that situation, my cousin said to me: 'Let's ride it together, sit down on the handle.' For me (a 7-year-old kid), it was a perfect idea.

At the beginning, the ride was really enjoyable, but my cousin wanted to go fast. I told him that I was scared of high speed because I didn't feel safe sitting on the handle, but he ignored me. It went completely wrong when he chose a downhill to continue our ride. That downhill was a rock-floor kind of street, but my cousin faced it at maximum speed. I didn't have enough time to hold on, but it didn't matter; just at the right moment, the wheel touched the first rock, and I was thrown away. I flew like 2 meters until my flight was suddenly stopped by a rock. I hit the rock with my forehead and cut my skin.

I cannot remember too much from that point, besides seeing everything in red and bleeding a lot. I went to a hospital, but my family did not have any kind of insurance, so my uncle cheated at IMSS, and he passed me off as one of his children. The doctors stitched me, and I stayed in the hospital for like one week. This history is probably the reason I did not want to ride a bike anymore.




Comments

Post a Comment